Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Beginning...

So I've decided to start a blog.

Sounds simple enough, but we'll see. Since we're at the beginning, lets start with the basics: who am I and why am I doing this?

Well that's simple.

My name is Amy Geddes and I am the only one like me (corny, but true). I have many passions in life, such as dancing, cooking, counseling, sports, art... the list goes on and on. But what I'm most passionate about (in terms of things to do that is) has to be baking. At least once a week I bake something. If I didn't have other obligations, like work :/, I would probably bake 24/7. Even when I'm not baking I can be seen designing different creations. Whether its sketching a cake for a cousin's baby shower or creating a one-of-a-kind cake pop for a friend's birthday--my brain tends to think in creative ways, centered around food (things could be worse!). Then, when I get a chance, they become reality.

Here are a few examples of cakes and cake pops I've made in the past few months.

This is the side view of the birthday cake I made for the little girl I nanny. It was her second birthday. She's obsessed with ladybugs.

I made these cake pops for my mom for her birthday this year.

Let's see... one more example.
This is a giraffe (hopefully you guessed that). He's made out of gumpaste. This was before he was 100% finished. He's kicking a field goal. I attached a football made out of fondant to him. What else are you supposed to do when a four-year-old tells you he wants a giraffe and football cake. :)

So why am I starting this blog?

I've decided I need a place to organize all of my thoughts and creations. I'm always posting pictures on facebook of the different things I've made. The problem is, everything gets spread out and I don't know where things end up.

Another reason for this blog is to share my experiences and knowledge with all of you. More often then not, when I show up with a cake or other baked item I get asked "How did you do that?!?!" I never really know if people want to know, or if their just astonished at what I've accomplished. So I thought, why not start a blog about the tricks I've learned, the great recipes I've found, and the fun, quirkiness that baking and cake decorating can be.

My goal is whenever I bake (something besides chocolate chip cookies that is) to post it here so that people can see what I've done. If I'm really on top of it, I'll take step by step pictures so you can see the whole process. But let's not get too carried away.

Bear with me as I get this started. Hopefully the pictures will get better and the blogs more interesting. But that's a given--what's more interesting than baking! ;)

I'm always up for suggestions of what to make too. So if you have an idea share it with me!

Oh... and I should probably explain the name of the blog. Cakes and Crumbs (also the name on my business cards). Cakes is obvious, I make and decorate cakes. Crumbs comes from the way I make cake pops. I'm not a big fan of baking round circles of cakes and putting them on sticks, but of crumbing the cake, addind frosting and letting my imagination take over. You'll see. I've got some cute cake pops in the works for Christmas. I love this time of year!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, I am excited to be your first follower.

    ReplyDelete